Friday, August 19, 2016

Ten-minute Quilt Block Quilt

THE TEN-MINUTE QUILT BLOCK QUILT!


YES!!!! A Friday finish and it's mine!!


I was looking on the internet for quilty ideas for the quilt club I do the second Friday of every month over at Blakeman Vacuum & Sewing when I ran across a tutorial on youtube.com for the 10 Minute Quilt Block by Suzanne McNeill.  Her samples are beautiful so I bought the book on ibooks and took a layer cake of Color Daze by Edyta Sitar along with my Bernina 350 to a friend's house for a one day mini retreat while her family was out of town.

This block is sooooo fast once you have the technique down.  I put six completed blocks together and then sliced the remaining 10" squares and put them together for a scrappy border.  The quilt finishes at about 47" x 67"; it's a great size for a throw, which is what I wanted, just for me!

And the most exciting part is the quilting: feathers, feathers, feathers!  The initial thought was to quilt around the center diamond of each block.  However, if you look real close at the quilt you can see two center circles created by putting the blocks together and then half circles surrounding them all around the inner part of the quilt.  That is where I decided to quilt large circle and half-circle feathers with a cross hatched center along with pearls on the outer part of the cross hatch and double pearls as the feather spine.  I think this will keep the quilt from looking too "blocky"  This is still a work in progress but it is coming together and I'm so excited!  Here's the first completed center block:


Quilting is being done with Aurifil 50 weight thread in a darker beige, color 2314.  It's just gorgeous! I think the quilt as a whole will be awesome!

SOOOOO excited about this quilt top finish and the 10 Minute Quilt Block.  This would be a great fabric stash project!  The 5 Minute Quilt Block looks even more fun!  

Have a great weekend and join me for some more quilty fun at the links on my side bar!

Next week I'll post a quilt I will be putting in a live auction in September for a local fund raiser so stay tuned!!


5 comments:

  1. Wow- really beautiful quilting!- it going to be lovely when your all done- can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a fabulous finish. You are so right - those feathers are indeed gorgeous. Wish you all the best on your auction quilt. I will come by next week to check.
    Hugs,
    Preeti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a string quilt with a pattern similar to this (with the triangles in the corner) but hadn't thought about using plain fabric arranged by color like this. It is a gorgeous quilt!
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very striking. The quilt is bright, fun, and just pops. Also, the quilting brings it to a whole other level. I love this so much. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete