Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Curvy Purple Log Cabin

CURVY PURPLE LOG CABIN


One of the more recent popular classes at our local quilt stores has been the curvy log cabin.  There have been quite a few beautiful finishes.  I must admit, it is really neat.  It really "moves" with the curviness and brings a little more interest than the traditional log cabin.

Most of these quilts I've seen quilted were done so with gorgeous, luxurious feathers.  They were stunning, but all of the attention was given to the feathers.  So here's a twist.

My customer brought her "curvy" with the statement that "I want movement, but I don't know what". Now this is not unusual for this customer, she almost always comes with a plan and I like that.  Her quilts speak to her.  But when I heard "movement, my eyes just enlarged.  What a challenge.

So we both got on pinterest and started looking for what would fit the description of "movement."

Here are photos of some beginning ideas I drew using plexiglass and dry erase markers on top of the quilt.

This one?  Nope



Uhhh....Nope



Definitely not, looks like peacock feathers.



Well, not as bad as the others.....

 

Ok.  I've had it for the night.  We'll take a fresh look at it in the morning.

Following a goodnight's sleep and a fresh look:

Oh, hey, this is looking good but something is missing.



YES!!  That's it.  Movement and swirling in both the white and purple.  This is it!


Now, the center called for a little break from the movement, so we softened it up just a bit with a combination of swirls and kind of feathers.  A variation of this design was used around the sides of the quilt.


What about thread?  Because the quilt shined with batik fabrics, it seemed that some shiny tri-lobal polyesters might work so I put out several Isacord threads I had for my customer to choose from.


White for the background was obvious, but a lighter purple for the purple pinwheel and darker purple for the border.


Perfect!!!

Let's see how it turned out.  Here are the pinwheels and the center sections.




For the border we ended up using that little swirl design we had considered for the pinwheels.  It really enhances the quilt.


And no quilt is complete without a look at the back.






So you get a better feel for timing versus design, this quilt is about 76.5" square and took about 13 hours to complete.  

I hope you enjoyed a look at the quilting process for this Curvy Purple Log Cabin quilt and that it will assist you in your own quilting endeavors.  I love the finish and definitely feel we reached the goals of "movement"!


I've been away from my blog for quite some time but plan on linking up with some of the sights on my sidebar this week.  And I'm looking forward to checking out Finish It Up Friday here:http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com

Enjoy your week!

5 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Thank you for taking the time to document and share the process. I am appreciative of that, particularly since I am learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Thank you for taking the time to document and share the process. I am appreciative of that, particularly since I am learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! It definitely has some great movement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt and your quilting is fabulous. Thank you for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a beauty! The plexiglass is perfect for letting your customer "see" the quilting beforehand. Of course, the two of you made a fabulous decision there's such movement! And the back!

    ReplyDelete