Friday, July 8, 2016

Another Dragonfly Quilt!

Love this finished customer quilt!



Although different sizes, it is the same pattern as the finished customer quilt from a few months ago.



It is amazing how the same quilt can turn out so different.  The direction on the second quilt just finished was that it be completely different and present the viewer with the image of a flower garden.  Both of these quilts will be displayed at the local quilt guild show in August.

OK!  Time to draw on a photo of the quilt again.  This quilt would not have ruler work but definitely stretched my imagination.  The major seams were stitched in the ditch and since we were not going to do the dense background quilting, each dragonfly was stitched around in order to give the three dimensional effect.  We did use double batting (50/50 bamboo/cotton) and a white Aurifil 50 weight thread.  

In the center of each  cluster of dragonflies that faced each other. was a different bouquet of flowers  
Daisies

There were six areas like this but we chose to do daisies twice, on alternating sides and locations.

Rose Buds

Key to the success of the quilting was that the flowers weaved into other areas just slightly so the design did not look too structured.

Violets

For the most part, the flowers mimicked real flowers.

Hydrangea?

Forgive me if these flowers / blossoms stretch your imagination!


Dogwood?


In the area on the side of the flowers sets, we highlighted specific flowers.  At the top and bottom of the quilt is what I call a squash blossom vine.


On the sides were another squash blossom.....


a rose.....

and a flower I made up with heart leaves.



In two opposing corners were hummingbirds


And in the other two:  bluebells! 




 The outside border was a continuous vine, consisting of a lovely feather with leaves in each corner, moving into daisies, leaves and swirls







This quilt was good for the soul and a joy to quilt!  Flowers always seem to bring joy, comfort and relaxation.

Hope you enjoyed Another Dragonfly Quilt

Check out the link spots on my sidebar and Crazy Mom Quilts at http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com and have a magnificent weekend!

















5 comments:

  1. How pretty! I love all the little stories you told in your quilting like the hummingbird visiting the flowers. I spent a long time just looking at all your different quilting. So fun and exquisitely accomplished. The dragonflies are such so well done and such great colors. i am an appliquer and the dragonflies remind me of applique. I'm going back to look some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your flowers are so pretty and no, I didn't have to stretch my imagination at all! They are spot on and very realistic, even in size, although you didn't have lots of room to work with. I'm really amazed at how smooth the lines are (not at all like my jerky, wobbly lines) and at how proficient you are at a wide variety of motifs. Yes, I'm sitting here gushing over your work and, of course, the quilt itself. You have such beautiful work to start with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your lovely quilt work and linking up with last week's TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. where can i purchase this patteren of the dragoinfly quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I purchase one of these? It's perfect for my late friend's mom. We honor my friend using dragonflies.

    ReplyDelete