Monday, October 24, 2016

A Finish! - Feathers of Venice

Life has been busy as it is for everyone so I've been slow on the posts but I'm really excited about this one!  Most of my quilting is for customers but I snuck in a fast quilt and was looking forward to the opportunity to fill it with feathers.  I call it:

Feathers of Venice


I am a natural romantic and both the fabric and feathers in this quilt speak romance.  Hence the name.

This quilt was made using the 10 minute quilt block.  There is a book available with different patterns but this entire block is demonstrated on youtube. It truly is sooooo easy and once you get it down, it's very easy to do a quilt in a day.  For this block, you can actually use any size squares.

The fabric was Color Daze by Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts by Moda.  I just love her fabrics! For quilting I used Bottom Line by Superior Threads for stitching in the ditch and an Aurifil 50 weight thread in a light beige.  I also used double 50/50 bamboo/cotton batting.  As a side note, I am completely out of batting now and will be looking for a new supplier and also some wool in Houston next week!!  So excited!

My first plan for quilting was to do feathered circle wreaths around each of the brown center squares.  However, when I layed the whole quilt out, I saw nondescript circle areas offset from the four-part blocks.  It appeared it would give the quilt more of a flow than just six wreaths set in block style.  I love the effect.  It also allowed for some cross hatching in the center of each wreath.

I used half-circle templates by Handiquilter for the wreath circles and Quilted Pineapple rulers for the cross hatching.  

For the outside double lace swages, I used a couple of Handiquilter swag rulers.

And for the outside straight lines I used the Handiquilter 8" ruler.  That ruler was also used for stitch in the ditch prior to any quilting.  With that extra stitching the quilt lays nice and flat.

I debated on whether to quilt anything on the brown center blocks because there is a heavy seam right in the center, but decided to do a very simple design that left the center open.


I am so thrilled with this finish and mostly that I get to keep it!  It will also be used as a sample for my feather classes.  

And that's Feathers of Venice!  Hope you enjoyed and picked up some ideas.  Give the 10 minute block a try.  This quilt top, with one layer cake, finished at just under 50" x 70".  What a great throw!


So hook up with me at some of the links on my side bar this week and of course at Crazy Mom Quilts here:  http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com

As always, have an awesome quilty week!










5 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love how you have two big feathered wreaths surrounded by partial ones. This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's breathtaking! Thanks for linking to Finished or Not Friday. I hope to see you each week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful feather work! Something I need to do more practice of...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those feathers are yummy! I wish I lived closer--no doubt I'd love a feather class with you. It would be great to meet you in Houston. (Just a week away!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Penny! Super beautiful!

    Jo Anna

    ReplyDelete