Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Asian Feathers

I love this quilt!  Not often do I have clients who will let me go to town on their quilts and are willing to pay for it.  This one did.  I found out that this was actually a mystery quilt and the owner was not sure she chose the right colors but I think it is fantastic.  It will be hanging at our local quilt show in mid-August.  I will be there as well with Blakeman Vacuum & Sewing doing demos on the Babylock Tiara.


The red fabric is an asian print with butterflies.  Some of the butterflies were fussy cut and appliqued as well.  That proved to provide challenges in the cross hatching and feathering as I had to work around the butterflies.

The cream is a print with a hint of metallic and the black, although it shows up differently at times in the photos,  is the black Kona cotton.

So the first thing I did is a 1/4 curve with Hemmingsworth metallic thread in the red squares followed by feathers in the quilt center:

Next were the stars.  I cross hatched the points and put a type of squash blossom in the cream portion of the nine-patch.




In between each star is a feathered wreath:




Outside of the stars are more feathers and a duet of plumes in corner blocks



In the corners are more feathers but I included my own butterfly:




And to take a little break from the feathers, I added some straight line quilting in the borders:


Here are some photos of the back.  The photos came out more grey because I was in strong sunlight but it is actually black Kona Cotton:








Love how this quilt turned out.  Now it is time to switch gears and begin quilting an outdoorsy quilt with deer fabric.  Have a great quilty day.

Join me as I link up with http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com on Wednesday, Needle and Thread Thursday at http://myquiltinfatuation.blogspot.com and http://confessionsofafabricaddict.blogspot.com and http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com on Friday as I check out what other quilters are up to.














4 comments:

  1. Your quilting is lovely and really adds texture and interest to this quilt! I love the back - very striking, well balanced, and it looks very well executed. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your quilting is stunning. It adds so much texture but still lets the piecing shine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of "wow" factor in that quilt. The quilting is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete