Friday, September 4, 2015

Lime Green & Modern

I took a short break from customer quilts last week and worked on a quilt color class and piecing hunter stars for my Christmas quilt (which may be my NEXT YEAR Christmas quilt).  I have a retreat next weekend so maybe I can get more blocks done then.  

Now I am back to a couple of new customer quilts.  This finished one I call Lime Green & Modern because it definitely looks modern to me and in addition to some blocks on the front, the back is completely lime green.  This quilt was a blast to complete.  Both Lime Green & Modern and the one I have waiting (already nicknamed by me as John Elway, although the soon-to-be owner probably never saw him play) were both completed by the same grandmother who brought me the two quilts for her soon-to-be adopted grandsons from Africa.  You can read about those quilts in several posts from April of this year.  What a grandmother!  Wow!  Those children will have VERY SPECIAL memories.  

So for Lime Green & Modern, a completely flannel quilt, I choose a subtle design for the body of the quilt.  Actually, it is a variation of the swirls I have done but this time it is more constant without such obvious freeform in it.  The goal was for the blocks to still stand out, even with the quilting.  The circles seemed to provide a rest from, and blend with, the mostly straight lines of the quilt.


It was quilted with a medium gray 50 weight Aurifil cotton thread. 


The inside border was completed with squiggles, the middle border with a free form serpentine and the outside border with double loops.  I wanted the quilting on the two gray border to be a bit more obvious.


I think the designs worked perfectly with the back as well which is completely white circles on the lime green.



I was very happy with this customer quilt and have the second one ready to quilt.

Have a great weekend and join me as I spend time today over at Crazy Mom Quilts http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com

7 comments:

  1. I'd be very happy too! I thought you must have used a tool on the middle border so I went back to reread it. Nope you did that freehand! Such a great job on all the different sections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those circles in the quilting give lots of movement to the quilt and are especially gorgeous on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt. I love the colors. I love working with flannel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it looks gorgeous! Like ripples across a pond, and such a pretty quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilting. Love the big spirals. I need to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting is so neat, Penny! Those greens and blues are really refreshing.

    ReplyDelete