Sunday, September 27, 2015

Raspberry Picking

No quilting over the weekend.  Saturday was spent with my husband out looking for duck and geese hunting areas for he and my son.  I go occasionally but laying out in freezing weather at 5 am in the morning is not my type of enjoyment.  But I did have a magnificent day with hubby.

We toted our RV to a ranch about 1 1/2 hours east of our home.  He and his wife are so kind to allow us to plant our mobile home on their property during the waterfowl season.  He took us out in his "new to him" polaris for a fantastic field trip.  I learned all about different types of corn ranchers plant and learned how they know when each is ready.  It was quite the education.  And I never new that yearling calves were susceptible to pneumonia.  That is one thing he aggressively avoids.  I guess we are never too old to learn something new!

Before leaving, they filled us in on a treasure not too far away:  a vegetable farm that allows raspberry picking!!!  It was out of this world!  Actually, it was on the border of Wyoming and Nebraska.  They have a strip approximately 300 yards long and four bushes wide of different types of raspberries, including golden raspberries.  Within 15 minutes we had over three pounds of red raspberries!  After casually returning to the main area and picking ripe golden raspberries on the way, we drove off with over four pounds of raspberries and two slices of homemade raspberry pie within an hour.


We stopped on our way home at another potential site for hunting and after relaxing and eating  sandwiches I had brought and filled with salami, honey turkey, gouda cheese and garlic havarti,  we thoroughly enjoyed every bite of those raspberry pie slices.  On the way home, we discussed potential pie recipes for dinner guests.  

So this afternoon hubby and I took this container, which was originally filled to the brim with raspberries,

and made this:

Yes, it was as good as it looks!  We also took about 8 pints of raspberries I had bought at a local grocery store and made raspberry jam.   What a glorious weekend and Lord's Day.  I hope you enjoyed your Sunday and are enjoying this season of harvest!



2 comments:

  1. Yum! Those raspberries look good! Glad you were able to get some fun outdoor time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! My mom used to pick raspberries when she was little and earned enough for her own bike. :)

    ReplyDelete