Friday, February 19, 2016

Flurrious Fun Flimsy Finish!

Flurrious Fun!
A Flimsy Finish!
(pattern by Sandy Fitzpatrick)


I am so excited about my first major appliqué project that I just can't wait to share until it's quilted.  My friend, Nita, who subjects herself to the "agony" of appliqué constantly, picked out this project for us to do together on a sewing night.  I was not thrilled but always game.  Those two snowflakes just about ruined my evening!  I think it took about one hour to cut those thorns in my flesh out!  And I can't tell you how many times I cut on the wrong line; I would accidentally cut on the line for the area to be hidden rather than the cutting line.  That's not good.  Nita was so very patient with me and although I issued out a very loud grunt once, all ended well.

Flurrious Fun finishes at 43" x 16".  I finished each appliqué piece with the 51 buttonhole stitch on my Bernina and it turned out great although that is definitely a skill I need to perfect. The mouths are also done with that buttonhole stitch.  The red and green striped border is actually a flanged border; one of my favorite parts of the pattern.  Here's a close up of each of my buddies.  Once quilted, the final touch will be some sort of beads for eyes on the cardinal.  Love that one!




So tell me!  Whether you actually quilt your projects or not, how would YOU quilt flurrious fun??!!

Join me at http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com and the sites on my sidebar for more flurrious quilty fun!


6 comments:

  1. Oh gosh. I love it. Great job for a first major applique. I need to ask the same thing about how to quilt applique projects. But I have an answer for this one. Just quilt vertical rows with little snow flakes in them. Just stitch down then make an x and then make a + sign through the x. It looks like snowflakes. I think Leah Day might have a tutorial. I've used this for my quilts and love it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, the cardinal sitting on the nose is super cute! For your first major applique project, it looks very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the one with the bird perched on his nose - they're all three just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all so cute! Appliqué isn't my favorite either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What adorable snowmen! You're going to enjoy displaying these guys every winter. I also like the snowflake quilting idea...it makes so much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a wonderful job and while you'll grumble a bit to yourself every time you look at those snowflakes, you'll beam just a bit inside as well! You live in WY! Can't let a couple of snowflakes conquer you!! :) GL's quilting idea sounds good. I would also do some outline stitching on the men, bird and flakes with invisible thread as well with a double layer of batting, the layer next to the top should have a little loft to it.

    ReplyDelete