Friday, February 26, 2016

Ruler Pouches Scrappy Project




I've been busy working on two quilts for a lady in Texas so it has been hard to play but I managed to find a little time this past week.  I spent Monday morning cleaning up my cabinets in my quilt room because they had become a disaster.  In the process, I realized I needed SOMEWHERE to keep my rulers more organized.  Hence, a scrap ruler pouch for my Shape Cut ruler, my 12" square ruler and a couple of long 24" rulers

I simply pulled out my jelly roll scrap box and started putting long strips together.  When I thought it was big enough, I cut it down to 18" square, added a backing and some Pellon batting and stitched in the ditch.  I did the same thing with another set of jelly rolls scrap strips but made it shorter than the smallest ruler so the end would stick out.  I think I made it 10" tall.


Before stitching in the ditch, I added a little embroidery to make it more interesting and then bound just the top of the pouch piece.



Both pieces were then stacked on top of each other and bound all the way around.  Ta da!  All done!  Took me maybe a few hours at most from start to finish.  I hung it behind the door so I could get to it quickly but it wouldn't be in the way.

I love this so much, I am making more for my smaller rulers,  my embroidery templates and embroidery hoops.  These are great as they fit snugly against the wall.

These will definitely be a scrap project for presentation at our March Quilt Club over at Blakeman Vacuum & Sewing!  Stay tuned for more of these!

I'll be linking up for Finish up Friday over at http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com as well as some of the links on my side bar.  Come join the fun!

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea! You could add as many pockets as you need when you make the next one. Of course, you know that! I like the embroidery especially. It really jazzes the piece up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The simple ideas are often some of the best. I like the way you added the embroidery, it really lifts it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever and oh so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use for scraps and rulers!

    ReplyDelete