Friday, May 6, 2016

New Class Samples!

New Class Samples


Since starting to teach free motion quilting classes 2 1/2 years ago, the basic class has evolved from a four week class to a full one day class.  Those new machines are just too heavy to carry back and forth for four weeks, and with our busy lives, it's hard for people to commit to four straight Saturdays, even for just two hours.

I also developed a new technique used at the beginning of the basic class called Quilting Calisthenics, which is basically the continuous quilting of very simple geometric movements to gain control of the fabric.  It seems to help the confidence of free motion quilters immensely.

So because of the changes,  my week was spent developing new samples to be used to promote the three different classes.  The one above is for Basic Free Motion Quilting, which starts with the calisthenics, progresses to loops, loops with motifs, and then into florals and leaves with no loops.  Students learn how the designs can be used allover, in borders and in specific blocks.  That's about all the time there is in that class as we also focus on learning basic free motion information and how to quilt a large quilt on a sewing machine.

This class is being offered in Boulder on the 14th of this month so I needed to get it there pronto!




The next sample is for my More Free Motion Quilting class.  It used to be called an advanced class, but that scared people so the title was changed to what it is now.  The new name is quite honestly more appropriate as it is mostly information that could not get covered within the time frame of the basic class.

The sample appears to be a jumble of designs but it's actually divided into more border techniques we learn, some allover and background techniques, ways to work in blocks and some modern quilting.  This class will be offered in Cheyenne on the 21st of May so I wanted to get this sample done to aid in getting a full class.



And finally, the sample for my Fantastic Feathers class.  I recently taught this class in Cheyenne but figured it would still be good to get a sample done so people could begin planning for the next class. I love my feathers class!  We learn many different ways to create feathers and how to use them in projects and quilts.  It includes wreaths, scrolls, deep borders, hyper quilting: almost everything a quilter needs to begin stitching out feathers.  Did I say I love this class??  

Free motion quilting is awesome and I love teaching it and sharing my knowledge. But I also love taking classes to increase my talents and knowledge!  Instead of reading books when I go to bed, I am often watching quilting educational videos to improve my skills!  It's my "down time". Now it's back to customer quilts and sandwiching my own for quilting as well!

Have a wonderful quilty weekend!  Be sure to link up over at Crazy Mom Quilts here:  http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com, as well as some of the links on my side bar.  The inspiration is always amazing!


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilting! Sounds like a fun class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your samples look great! I especially love your feathers sample.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to take your classes!! :)

    ReplyDelete