Friday, April 29, 2016

Chocolate!

Chocolate!

I love chocolate!  She is gorgeous!  Chocolate measures approximately 45.5" x 55" and was quilted with a cream colored Aurifil 50 weight thread in the center area  and a red Aurifil thread in the border area.  

Chocolate was actually made from a very simple pattern I created several years ago.  I had found some quilt quality fabric in yardage and a charm pack at an estate sale.  Not knowing what to do with it, I made my first pattern design.  Here is the original quilt:

My girlfriend, Kelly, saw this quilt and wanted to make one.  So she had me write up a pattern.  She had a charm pack from Three Sisters called Chocolate, and the rest is history.

I quilted Chocolate for Kelly following a class I completed by Bethanne Nemesh on Iquilt called "If You can Feather, you can Freehand."  The techniques learned in the class were used to complete Chocolate.  Although it's hard to see, the quilting turned out great.  Included in the quilting were daisies, leaves, a trio of feathers, butterflies and dragonflies.  Here are some closeups.






I would definitely recommend this class.  The idea is mid-custom quilting but it is quite simple, especially if you already free motion quilt feathers.

Well, as always, join me for some linky parties with the buttons on my sidebar and definitely do not forget Finish Up Friday here:  http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com  Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilting! Love all the elements hidden in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilting! Love all the elements hidden in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a terrific job on the quilting. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful quilting job you did on this lovely quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your quilting motifs. Isn't freehand quilting fun? Claire aka knitnkwilt.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quilting you did on this aptly named quilt. Love Three Sisters lines too. I am all about preserving as much of not all of the 5" charm square so yay for a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! I really like the staggered layout. Sounds like a fun class.

    ReplyDelete