Friday, April 8, 2016

Flowers for Me!

FLOWERS FOR ME!



I am Soooooooo excited to have a wall hanging for ME  And, with my favorite design:  flowers!  It all started when I quilted The Dragonfly Quilt for Linda.  You can find the post here:  http://pennyquilt.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-dragonfly-quilt.html.  I wanted to do some custom quilting with double batting for me, but I don't have a project ready and I didn't want something big.  Then I saw this post:  http://www.quiltkisses.blogspot.com/2016/03/flower-pot-mini-finish.html by Jasmine at Quilt Kisses and it was sooooo cute.  I knew the panel was not available any more so I decided to just make my own flower wall hanging.  Some research on the internet produced this blog: https://ankastreasures.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/charmed-free-pattern-for-blog2.pdf,  from which I developed Flowers For Me, a scrap appliqué wall hanging.  I used 2 1/2" jelly roll strips for the basket, flowers and leaves, which I received in a swap at the March quilt club meeting over at Blakeman Vacuum & Sewing.  


The real fun came with the quilting.  Flowers for Me measures approximately 20" x 24" and was sandwiched with two layers of 50/50 cotton/bamboo purchased from Winline.  Eventually I will purchase some wool and use it in the top layer but I haven't had the opportunity to do that so for the time being, cotton/bamboo will suffice.  Using Bottom Line by Superior Threads in both the top and bottom again (light olive green in top and cream in bottom), I first outlined each appliqué piece and stitched in the ditch between the main section and the border.  Then with a white Sewline pencil I wrote in and then stitched some whimsical words and a couple of circles.  Then came the quilting.  Yay!  I had so much fun.  I just love this style of quilting.  Here are some close ups:





The border was narrow, about 3" wide, so I stuck with something simple and did a flower in each corner, attached to some pansy flowers like I put in The Dragonfly Quilt.  It turned out very quaint.


I love my new wall hanging!  Hosting Quilt Club helps me make things I wouldn't ordinarily set aside time to do.  I'm thankful for that.  So join me at Finish it up Friday with Crazy Mom Quilts here:  http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com and some of the links on my side bar for a great quilty weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the words you quilted. So nice to make something for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice to be able to admire this for ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful and your quilting is divine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little flower pot quilt. Your appliqué is darling and allows your quilting to really shine.

    ReplyDelete