Friday, April 1, 2016

Winter Window Quilt

Winter Window Quilt



Winter Window Quilt is another quilt brought to me by my customer Linda, for whom I quilted The Dragonfly Quilt which I posted last week.  Linda created this small 40" wide by 31" in length quilt for her daughter as a winter quilt for her kitchen window.  I had a lot of fun with this cute, cute quilt; it certainly got done faster than The Dragonfly Quilt!

Since a lot of the quilting would be done by blocks, the first thing to do was to stitch in the ditch everywhere except the individual braids on each side  and below the trees.  That goes a long way to making blocks lay flat.  All but the snowflakes in the background blocks were quilted with Isacord on the top and Bottom Line off white in the bobbin.  The snowflakes were quilted with Yenmet thread in the top, which is an off white, but it has some iridescence to it and sparkles in the light.  The quilting was kept more simple to fit the design and planned use of the quilt.

The center block was done with a single cross hatch so I didn't "cloud up" the bunny.  Then the trees were quilted just in the dark green tree area with a "circle eight" or "wishbone" design.  The rest of the tree area was left simple with stitch in the ditch.



Each of the four individual blocks were quilted like the block below.  I used four different snowflake patterns throughout the quilt.  The one in the top left of this block was done free hand but the remaining three were done by creating stencils.  I moved the positioning of the snowflakes around in each block.



Next came the braids to the left and right of the blocks and below each tree.  These were quilted with swirls and holly leaves leaves a la Bethanne Nemesh.  What a fun way to quilt with beautiful results.


The outer border was only about 2" wide so we finally decided on a simple wavy serpentine with holly leaves and berries but used a light green thread to bring out the color of the quilting a little more.  It turned out great!

 

The backing is soooo cute and colorful.....


When I was stitching the snowflakes, I was concerned whether the quilting would even show.  So I took the quilt to my kitchen window and hung it up.  It was a cloudy day so there was no sun shine but just the daylight created a magnificent effect with those little Christmas trees.  In person they look more like the old florescent Christmas lights.






Winter Window Quilt turned out beautiful!   I have one more quilt on tap to complete for Linda and am looking forward to a little all-over design on the next one.  Thank you so much for all the support and encouragement on The Dragonfly Quilt post last week.  I was thrilled!  

Have a fantastic weekend and join me as I link up with Finish it up Friday here:  http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com as well as the links on my sidebar.  


9 comments:

  1. I always look forward to see what quilting design you have chosen. I like the trees and the ivy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt; fantastic quilting! I love how you share your quilt plan. So much thought put into the snowflakes, and they are so pretty too! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That back lit effect is really neat. The quilt seems to glow!!! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That back lit effect is really neat. The quilt seems to glow!!! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice finish. Your quilting works so well with her pretty quilt. I also like the back lighting--what a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not familiar with Yenmet thread. I love the holly and snowflakes! Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The snowflake quilting is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another amazing job by Penny. The real surprise came from the backing. It just glows! Thank you Penny for using your talent to bring out the best in my quilts. I love the holly border, simple yet stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your custom quilting is beautiful. What a neat idea for a window quilt.

    ReplyDelete