Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Purple with Feathers!

When Cathy brought me this quilt, I started to drool.  Well, not literally, but I imagine my eyes and face showed the enthusiasm within.  I LOVE PURPLE!!!!!  And this is a gorgeous quilt!


There was no doubt that this quilt would lend itself beautifully to feathers.  

The first thing I did was to pull out a dry erase marker and cover a portion of the quilt with my plexiglass.  Since the corner areas are different than the main portion of the quit, I decided to cover the corner and a repeated block.  It just wasn't clicking.  I like the drawing within the block, but not the corner flower nor sashings.  I needed to brainstorm just a bit more.  

I decided to take a photo of the quilt and put the whole photo on the drawing program on my iPad.  I use Procrete with an I-pencil and can blow up portions of the photo to draw in.  This is what I sent Cathy next, with several options for the sashing.  Some of the feathering is a bit wobbly due to using the I-pencil but all I wanted was a quilting plan.

Cathy was thrilled; she chose ribbon candy in the sashing except for the two small pieces by the feathered heart.  She stuck with the little hearts in the sashing there.  

I used my favorite ruler from the Quilted Pineapple to come up with the long curves, and two different threads:  a deep purple Isacord and a lavender Floriani.  Both are tri-lobal polyester threads and are great to bring the desired sheen to the quilt while maintaining strength in the fibers.  We also used 80/20 cotton/wool batting from Hobbs Tuscany Heirloom.  This would give the quilt a little "poof" in the quilting.

First, we stitched in the ditches of the main block areas, the sashing and the borders.  Then, it was time for the fun using the plan Cathy accepted.  Here is a view of parts of the quilting completed.




And finally, a completed Purple with Feathers!!


 This quilt is beautiful; the piecing is fantastic.  Deciding what to quilt in the corner area was the most difficult of the quilting but Cathy loves the hearts.  I love how it turned out!

Have a wonderful week and be sure to check out some of the quilty places on my sidebar!

FIND ME ON FACEBOOK AT:  
Penny Olive, Free Motion Quilting Educator



1 comment:

  1. WOW!! that is GORGEOUS, not just the quilt itself but also the quilting. I love what you did in the corners; I don't think I would have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete