Wednesday, January 31, 2018

The fairy quilts!!!

The quilt I will be sharing in this post is one done by the same lady who did this little fairy quilt!  Its actual title by the artist is Fairies in the Dutch Iris.  It is  approximately 29" square and won first place in the art quilt division as well as the Judges Choice Reserve Best of Show award at the Cheyenne Heritage Quilt Show this past August, 2017.

The quilt I will focus on here is approximately 31" x 34" and I call it Fairy Hidden in the Poppies and Daisies!  This quilt was planned several years ago as a quilted wall hanging birthday gift for the daughter of the Artist.  Although I would have loved to go all out on the quilting, Rose just wanted this to be a nice wall hanging and memory for her daughter.  Do you know how hard it is to reign in your quilting??!!???!!

But I do love this!  Rose wanted to keep it simple so she only wanted to include some small little daisies that spread into the borders and a few butterflies.  She was not concerned that this quilt be heavily quilted.  

I wanted to do some really special butterflies so before sandwiching the quilt, I found a couple of lovely ones on pinterest that had no user protection and printed them out.  The printed designs were placed on my lightbox, followed by the quilt top, and I drew the designs with a blue line marker.  It was perfect!

The top was then sandwiched with Hobbs Tuscany 80/20 cotton wool.  First, each border area was stitched in the ditch.  Then I stitched around every portion of the appliqué, inner and out.  This secured it to the sandwich and gave a nice finish.  Now it was time for the butterflies and daisies.  This was great but I didn't feel like there was enough quilting.  After speaking with Rose, it was decided to add some poppies, making them part of the rest of the grouping.  GREAT!  I had already sandwiched the quilt and I'M NOT AN ARTIST!  So I spent quite a bit of time on pinterest trying to find the easiest rendering of a poppy and a poppy leaf.  It was too late to use the light box! After some practicing, here's what I came up with:

And finally, we left the the flying geese border pretty empty other than just stitching in the ditch around each block.   The outer border added swirls and some designs from the quilt itself.  

Simple and sweet but I think it turned out lovely! 


I can't seem to add videos on my blog but I did put one for doing the poppy on my business Facebook page.  You can find me on Facebook at:

Penny Olive, Free Motion Quilting Educator

Enjoy your quilting and be sure to stop and smell the poppies!



1 comment: