Friday, April 27, 2018

Wool Applique Quilt!

This customer quilt is totally amazing!!

Jayne shared with me how much she loves doing hand work.  So, I said, the appliqué on this quilt IS done my machine, right?  Oh no, was the response, I do that all by hand.  By hand?  It's almost perfect?!?!  Although this quilt was a kit purchased from Keepsake Quilting, I have never seen such beautiful handwork.  It is stunningly beautiful!!  I was very humbled and scared stiff at the thought of being responsible for the quilting.  But Jayne is actually a very humble woman and I loved just visiting with her.

Our agreement was not to rush, but to finish the quilt with primarily feathers and pebbles.  She brought the bottom layer of batting and I added a layer of Quilter's Dream wool.  After debating, it was decided to use Superior Threads Bottom Line in both the top and bobbin threads.

After sandwiching the quilt, the first step was to stitch in the ditch of the major blocks.  Then....edge stitch around every single pice of appliqué.  Every single piece.  Uhhhhhh, every single piece!!!! Wow!!!!

Now I could begin the background stitching, flowing from block to block.  Here's what we ended up with.  Every block spoke for itself so although there are feathers and pebbles throughout, every block is quilted differently.











The half square triangles were stitched with a 1/4" curve on each of the sides of the cream fabric.  And for the outer border?  Feathers most definitely!!!  Rather than just connected feathers all around the quilt, I started at both the top and bottom and took them around to meet at the sides of the quilt.  



I have to admit that this was an enormous undertaking but this quilt is totally me and I thoroughly enjoyed quilting this beauty for Jayne.  And she is totally thrilled!!

Hope you enjoyed this one!  I know I did!  Be sure to check out my Facebook Page for all things free motion!  You can find me at Penny Olive, Free Motion Quilting Educator.

Have a super quilty weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment