Saturday, January 9, 2021

2020 Christmas Wrap Up!

Christmas has passed and everything has been put away.  Well....almost everything.  My husband, John, and I love to sit in our sunroom in the morning with our coffee.  It's still dark and we both love lights, so we left them up on the patio until the hail arrives, which will probably be about May or June.  

This was  the first time in many years that I was actually able to enjoy making homemade gifts and some treasures for my home.  It was delightful!  Credit goes to the pandemic!  Yes, I'm thankful that there wasn't as much running around and things to do; I enjoyed the rest and staying more at home.

It started with embroidery.  I really enjoy embroidery, and even more, combining it with free motion quilting.  This year I got to do both:  In the hoop, wallhangings, a table runner!.  It was great! It started with some gifts for friends:




Then a friend had drawn a specific design she had seen and wanted a wallhanging for her bedroom.  It took some time, but I finally found what she wanted in an embroidery design. It really wasn't for Christmas; she had asked for it almost a year ago!  But the time was right so it was time to "get it done".

That wallhanging got me motivated to do a special gift for a precious friend with whom I do a weekly Bible study.  I absolutely love how this turned out.    The design was from Embroidery Library.  It looks fancy but was actually a pretty quick project.

For our home, we needed some new placemats.  OK, not "need", but it was time!  These were from leftover jellyroll strips from a fall quilt I had made. They were more Christmasy so I had left them out of the quilt. I wanted something for every day use so they're not fancy.  But!  They were too plain with just strips so I worked with some alphabets and enlarging on the copier and added some appliqué. The finish is kind of country and nice.

After seeing something a friend was doing, the Missouri Star Quilt Company half-hexi template came out of hiding for a few more placemats.  Gingerbread men and snowmen have a special place in my heart!



My Christmas stocking needed replacing after an accident last year with a bottle of Kombucha that exploded!  I found a stocking black line drawing that I liked on Pinterest and then enlarged it and adjusted it just a bit.  After adding some diagonal strips and a little embroidery, it was set to go!  


And what Christmas would be complete without some free motion!  This table runner combined embroidery and free motion. The design is from Embroidery Library.   It took forever with the intense scribbling, but I absolutely love it!  It's totally me!


I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and holiday season, although it did have its difficulties.  Most of all I enjoyed having my son home from law school.  This will be his final semester and I don't know what will happen then, so I'm enjoying every moment!  Let's look forward to this year and the opportunities that will come to encourage each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment