Thursday, January 7, 2021

The Jelly Roll Race Free Motion Quilting Quilt Along!

The response to a Jelly Roll Race Quilt challenge on my Facebook Page and YouTube was great so we are going to do it! First let’s get our quilts completed and sandwiched, before the first free motion post next Wednesday, the 13th.  I still prefer to spray baste my quilts, but this is an easy one to pin baste since we are quilting by rows. Longarmers will have a great time joining in on this one as well!

Starting next Wednesday, I’ll go through a modified version of my Quilting Calisthenics with designs you can use on your Jelly Roll Race quilt, once you doodle them, of course.  I’ll also include additional designs for those with more control or experience with free motion.

Here are links to three Jelly Roll Race Quilts on YouTube by Missouri Star Quilt Company but you are welcome to use any pattern or process you like.  

1.  Making a Jelly Roll Race with Jenny Doan of Missouri Star:  https://youtu.be/2bEJLnaZQOU

2.  Jelly Roll Race II:  https://youtu.be/9w9UOFj0CSo

3.  Jelly Roll Race 3.0:  https://youtu.be/BY4tEEpyhX4

I used a roll called Sturbridge by Kathy Schmidt.  What was I thinking!?!?!?  There’s no color!!!  Oh well, I’m up for a challenge and will complete the Jelly Roll Race II using squares of teal thrown in to help wake it up.  Thanks, Linda, for the color help!

So how about some working photos!  First, to get my fabric ready!!



Don’t forget to get a fresh needle, put your 1/4” foot on, fill up some bobbins and clean up before starting! (psst.:  now that I’m done I found out it only took me one bobbin although I might need some from a second to put on the borders)  


Over 1600” of strips and squares stitched together!



Now it’s time to put my stitching into rows.




And finally the finish!  I absolutely love this!  The teal is awesome!  I think I made a mistake with how I stitched the two rows and two rows to make four.  That caused the gap on the diagonal up the middle but I love it!  I think I’ll add a small teal inner border with a 3-4” outer border and call it a finished top!

Now it’s time to gather the backing, which I may piece with large scraps, and then sandwhich my Jelly Roll Race Quilt and hold it for Wednesday!  How are yours turning out??  

Follow me on Facebook at Penny Olive, Free Motion Quilting Educator and on YouTube under my name:  Penny Olive.  



No comments:

Post a Comment