Sunday, January 24, 2021

Using a Longarm!!

 This post is extremely exciting as it demonstrates a new skill being learned!

My friend and neighbor, Bev, has been challenging and encouraging me to try her longarm!!!  Scared stiff?  You bet!!

This was not easy!!!!  What do you do when you’ve quilted using a domestic sewing machine or a sit down longarm for 12 or 13 years!?!?!?  Well, you go to Joann’s and by a 90” x 90” piece of muslin on sale and quilt your little heart out!!  And I did!!  It took several sessions before I would risk quilting a quilt on my own but it was time to give it a try and learn to accept less than perfection!  Not that I’m perfect, but definitely particular!

Here’s the first one; I completed this quilt top several years ago!  It was made with a jelly roll along and some background strips. For quilting,  I used a hook with scallops for the inner portion and feathers on the outside.   Now that took courage if you know me!!  But they’re not bad!





Bev spent quite a bit of time on a kit she was given and asked me quilt this paisley design taken from Whirls and Swirls out of Canada.  I love these and use them often for an all over design.




Bev loves her finish and is working to get it bound right now 

Here is a drawing of the two designs used:


The moral of the Story????  Never be afraid to try something new, whether it be free motion quilting or taking it to a frame!!  It’s all fun!!!

See you next time!  

Follow me on Facebook at Penny Olive, Free Motion Quilting Educator 
And 
On youtube.com under Penny Olive. 




No comments:

Post a Comment