Friday, February 6, 2015

Free Motion Quilting Fantastic Feathers!

I shared recently about the basic free motion quilting class I teach.  I also offer a class called Fantastic Feathers.  It seems like although many students learn feathers, they are afraid to use them on a quilt; that bothered me.  So this class is super intensive on practicing several types of feathering and then using a couple of those styles in a final class project.

We start by reviewing the basic free form feather from the beginning class.  Then we learn some backwards feathers and combine the two to use on as an all-over design


The we take a look at the hook feather (this is actually a very easy feather):

And we "jazz" it up and maybe add a little Zen Tangling:


And no feathers class can be complete without heirloom feathers!  After a bit of practice, we pull out a sandwich and try our hand at a feathered wreath, followed by an heirloom feathered border.  Here is my sample:

All in all, we probably quilt at least 500 feather plumes during the one day class.  What a blessing to be able to share my love of free motion quilting with other ladies.  After this class, most ladies are ready to complete feathers on a border!

Have a most blessed weekend!  And be sure to fellowship with the body of Christ!  I will be spending Saturday with my husband.  He will be goose hunting but I plan to stay in the car and hand stitch the binding on my Garden Party quilt!  











2 comments:

  1. Wish you lived closer so I could take your class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW! Love these feathers, especially the Zentangles! Very cool Miss Penny! Wish I could take your class too!!

    ReplyDelete