Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Free Motion Quilting

Today, while I am busy cleaning my home and then quilting my unfinished projects, I thought I would share a little more about the craft with which God has blessed me.  I have been teaching free motion quilting classes down at our local sewing store for over one year now and love it every time I start a new class.  I developed a four part beginning class where students come for two hours once a week for four weeks and go home and practice between each class.  It has been very successful and I have seen a lot of ladies becoming thrilled with their abilities.  That is joy to me.  I also teach an advanced class and what we call Fantastic Feathers class.  Both are complete one day classes.

In the first class of my basic class, I teach introductory information about free motion quilting and then we go in to simple loops with some fun and simple designs (these are samples I made for the store):



The next class goes in to flowers and leaves and we take out the loops.  I also show a poinsettia and some other specific designs.  To those designs we add some hyperquilting and echoing.  Fun!


The third class is the most desired:  feathers.  We do a very basic free form feather and show ways to make it look good.  We also show a pansy type of feather and a leafy feather.


We end the series with some fun and quick overall quilting designs, writing our names and a little free motion embroidery.  


So when I am not tending to my family or home, you will probably find me quilting in my sewing room or teaching classes at Blakeman Vacuum and Sewing!  And I love every moment of all it.  My life is a blessing from God and I so desire to bless him and those around me with the life giving Spirit He gives.

Have a super day.  May God bless you richly today and cause you to ponder who He is and how He chooses to use you to touch the lives of those around you.  


3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a fascinating post, especially as I am approaching teaching my first FMQ class. Your samples are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping for a private lesson in April!! :)

    ReplyDelete