Sunday, March 29, 2015

Pronghorn Antelope Quilt Finish

I finally finished the binding on Mr. Pronghorn.  I usually do my bindings by hand but for some reason, I had a hard time getting motivated to finish this one.  But now it's done, washed and in the possession of my husband, who is thrilled with it.  Lots of photos follow:

Pronghorn Antelope Quilt




The sunrise/sunset(?) is quilted with red, orange and yellow angled lines, imitating the sun rays (reflection)


The antelope itself is done more as a modified art quilt with lines that apply texture and move with the flow of the fur.







The quilting around the antelopes(s) changes with the environment.  The ground is done with pebbles, the sagebrush with swirls and the grass with what I call "fire".  I worked around the rocks, using more texture to quilt them based on their shading.







The  four corner blocks in the star blocks around the perimeter of the quilt are quilted with "rays", mimicking the rays in the sunrise/sunset.  The orange points of the stars are quilted 1/4" in on each side of the triangle.  The center of the block is done using an eight sided figure.  I love these because the sides of a block provide an entourage of ideas to be used for quilting.  The brown triangles between the orange points are done with a simple swiggle.  I love these blocks; they have personality.    I quilted the green between each star with straight lines 1/4" apart.  These were done with a ruler.  The green border around the quilt is also done with straight lines 1/4" apart but I chose not to use a ruler but the width of the hopping foot.  It came out a little wobbly but looked somewhat natural.




Finally, the brown wood grain border of the panel was quilted as a modern wood grain.  I don't know why but I really like doing wood grain.


And that is Mr. Pronghorn, gifted to my husband who has wanted his own quilt for some time.  He is excited.  

The main thing I learned from this quilt is that simple is good.  Ha ha!  It took a lot of work but I am actually very happy with the end product.


Have a most blessed week!














6 comments:

  1. Wow, your quilting is most impressive and so perfect looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky hubby! Your quilting is fantastic and your pictures really show it off. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's sew beautiful, Penny! You are an artist with that free-motion quilting....

    ReplyDelete
  4. John is a lucky man! Will you be entering this in a quilt show? Amazing work, Penny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so supportive, Debbie. Thank you for all your encouragement.

      Delete