Saturday, April 11, 2015

Mondo Bag & Placemats!

I spent this past Wednesday morning with my friend Kelly finishing our Mondo Bags.  It's great!  I carried everything I needed for Quilt Club in it this past Friday afternoon.  What a fun bag to make; I think I may make another.  And it was great fun to do with a friend.  I am not great at bags so I usually do some twists on the second one but leave the first in line with the pattern.  I used a jelly roll for the bag and handles but yardage for the lining.




With the left over jellyroll strips, I made these:
four strip pieced placemats.  The fabric line was Floribunda by Moda.  Since it was strip pieced using a paper piecing or quilt as you go technique, I didn't need to do any quilting,  but it was nice to spice them up with some decorative stitches from "My Nina".  So I alternated these stitches on each strip, right down the middle, using the same designs on each placemat.



The backing was a leafy design that came from my stash:


When it came to the binding, "easy"was the word that came to mind.  So I found another decorative stitch that would cover both sides of the binding so I was sure it would catch.  I think this turned out great:




So in summary, from one jellyroll (plus lining and backing fabric) this week I now have one Mondo bag and four lovely placemats to protect my pretty wood dining room table.  I am very pleased!  Time to get those placemats washed!!!













2 comments:

  1. Your bag looks great! And thanks for sharing what you did with the leftover strips. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute bag! and I love the placemats!

    ReplyDelete