Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Downton Abbey Finish!!! / Autumn's Quilt

Before going into the Downton Abbey, I want to thank all of you who have been praying for Elijah & Autumn, who were critically injured in an automobile accident on Friday afternoon, May 8th.  We have been friends with Elijah and his family for about 13 years; our boys participated in many homeschool classes and events together and spent many an afternoon playing outside reenacting history or with strategy games inside.  It greatly affects you when the children you have seen mature from youth, are suddenly struck with a tragedy.  But we have seen God exalted through all that has happened  God is performing untold miracles in the lives of Elijah and Autumn but they have a long way to go.  You can get an update on their conditions here:  https://elijahandautumn.wordpress.com

I have some awesome news on the signature quilts planned for both Elijah and Autumn but first let me update you on the Downton Abbey quilt I was completing for a customer.  Yes!  It is finished!  Here is a finished photo:

Since the last post, I finished the inner border with feathers:

The outside border was quilted with a simple cable design but because I did not want to detract from the fabric design, I used the same gray blue thread as the feathers so you really can't see it from the front.  Here is a quick glimpse from the back:


This quilt was quilted on my Handiquilter Sweet 16 sit-down long arm.  The thread I used for the main body was Prescencia. I used a dark gray Aurifil for the inner and outer borders. 

So what did I like least about quilting this quilt?  The most difficult and pressured part of this quilt was knowing that it would be viewed by professional quilters who could possibly pick apart my work.  It caused so much stress that at one point my husband told me I totally needed to let that go and just quilt and do my best.  When I did that, I enjoyed it much more.  Any "burps" were caused by thinking about someone looking at the finished product.

What did I like most about quilting this quilt?  I loved the opportunity to come up with my own block designs and really enjoyed quilting the feathers and flowers.

My favorite blocks were:

1)  The main Downton Abbey Block in the center of the quilt:


and:

This block that pulled me out of my comfort zone.

(thanks for your help with this one, Debbie)

My most enjoyable part of the quilt?

This feathered heart with rosebuds in the setting triangles:



and this artist's rendition of the flower from the border and backing fabric:


I love the romantic feel of this quilt and the idea of the feathered hearts were so obviously sitting there waiting to be quilted.  I was also thrilled that we could work in the roses and rose buds that the quilt owner had requested.  

Overall, this perfectionist is extremely please with the finished product!


On another note:  I having been working as I can on Elijah's quilt, feeling very overwhelmed at the thought of completing one for Autumn as well and yet both of these are heavy on my heart.  So this past Sunday evening I received a text message from my quilting friend in San Antonio.  She had read my recent blog on creating a signature quilt and sent the following text message:

"Inspiration just hit me.  Would you like me to make a signature top for Autumn using these?"


You will not believe the joy that swelled up in my heart as tears were coming down my face.  What a blessing to see the body of Christ desire to minister to Elijah, Autumn and their families.  So I am hard at work on Elijah's quilt now that Downton Abbey is complete and my friend Debbie in San Antonio is probably almost done with Autumn's quilt top.  Thank you, Debbie!  You have no idea how much of a blessing you are!   Debbie will be sending the quilt with my brother and sister in law in June when they fly out for my son's high school graduation ceremony.  God is soooooo good.

And finally, this arrived in my quilting studio Monday morning!

While we quilters are always moving things around and organizing, my quilt studio remodel is now a finished project.  I am so excited!

Have a wonderful Wednesday and consider yourself blessed to be alive!







3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting the quilting done. It turned out beautiful. I think a lot of the same things when I think of entering a quilt in a show. I don't want my work to be "judged."

    And I'm so glad you have help with a project so near to your heart. You have a lot going on. And your cabinet is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny, Downton Abbey is fabulous. MY favorite are the feathered hearts! I just love watching your creativity flow. YOU, my friend, are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is amazing. You have nothing to be worried about! What a blessing to get some help with the quilt for Autumn. God always provides!

    ReplyDelete