Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Downton Abbey update

This quilt is absolutely beautiful!  Here is the photo of the quilt top from my original post:

This pattern was actually designed by the owner of one of our local quilt shops and I love the blue and cream triangle blocks surrounding the 12" blocks.

So after sandwiching, my first mission was to stitch in the ditch around each 12" block and the larger block encasing each.  Not my favorite task:  I truly struggle with stitching in the ditch.  It would probably be the more glaring weakness.

Once the blocks were secure, which helps the quilt lay flat.  I began the process of quilting the blue and cream blocks and then each block within.  

So here is what I have so far:

I am down to two blocks and then will start the large triangles.  Here are some close up photos of the completed blocks.  Warning!  Lots of pictures.

The is the main Downton Abbey block taken from the center section of the quilt.  The flowers in the setting triangles are my artist's rendition of the flowers in the backing and border fabric.  I placed a rosebud in each maroon/black half square triangle.





This block is directly below and was probably the more difficult block to quilt.  I had a bit of help figuring out the quilting for this one, but I love it.  Very cool!



Both of these center blocks were quilted in the setting triangles with the artist rendition flowers.  I think it turned out gorgeous.

The next four blocks are to the left and right of the two center blocks.



Oops, I forgot--I have two small areas to finish on this block.  Roses were placed in each corner of this block.  The quilt maker specifically requested I tie in roses if possible.  





I think everything has turned out great though I am probably my worst critic.  There are two more blocks to quilt and then to start on the large setting triangles.  I decided upon a feathered heart with the point facing toward the quilt.  Most probably I will put a rose bud at the out side of each triangle to tie in the ones from the Downton Abbey main block.

Then, I am thinking I will switch to a gray thread for the two outside borders.  Most probably feathers in the inner border and I have absolutely no idea what will go in the outer border.  I do not want to compete with the fabric design so we will have to wait and see what happens.

I would love to complete this quilt this week but I guess I have another maybe 6 or 7 hours of labor so it may be next week.  

I hope you enjoyed this first blush look at the Downton Abbey quilt.  Have a great "hump day"!



7 comments:

  1. You are such a great quilter! I love the flowers you put in the white. All your blocks are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilting is truly stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that is Gorgeous! I love the roses on the first square and the circles on the checkerboard. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty. I love your flowers and feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is stunning! I love your quilting! This will certainly be an amazing finish! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much SarahZ. I am having fun!

    ReplyDelete