Wednesday, October 14, 2015

BERNINA Training / Quilted Shadow Box Quilt

I will be in training  in Chicago at the Bernina Creative Center so there won't be much sewing this week.  It will be so exciting to learn about each machine and the extent of options for each one.  It appears we will be completing a small project as well.

Before leaving Wyoming, my new companiom, Princess "B", completed her first quilt.  Princess "B" is the new Bernina Q20 sit down long arm.  She has 20" of throat space, two stitch regulators and awesome tension control.  Her cabinet home is 36" deep by 45" long but with extensions she stretches out to 77".  She is wonderful! Eli and Antonio from Blakeman Vacuum & Sewing came and set her up for me and made sure all was well before leaving.






This first quilt is probably much less perfect than I prefer because it took quite the adjustment to learn to quilt with stitch regulators running.  But that was expected and the reason why it was a good time to complete one of my own. quilts.


It's not bound yet so it may be a good time to show just a sneak preview.  Since this is my own quilt, the major blocks were filled with (can you guess?) feathers.



The brown around that block were simple: "l"s and then some swirls and leaves in the borders.  

I will be binding this upon return to Wyoming and will then show the quilt in its entirety but overall I am very happy with it.


7 comments:

  1. I am quite envious of your long arm and your Bernina training! The sit-down long arm looks like it does not requite the kind of space that other models need. That would be a big plus! Grats on your new machine and hope you have fun during the training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to try something new and then get to keep it! How do you like moving the fabric as compared to moving the machine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For something "much less perfect" I think it looks great! Have fun at your training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely feathers!! And I really like the ones in your header. I have not tried feathers yet, but I really admire them. Have fun with that new machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice feathers. I need to practice mine some more, so I'm looking for places to put them on upcoming quilts. :)

    ReplyDelete