Thursday, January 15, 2015

Memory Quilt

As it does all of us, life found me busy for almost a week now.  The first of the year is always quite consuming with dismantling Christmas and getting a fresh clean house.

The new year also found me teaching my first free motion quilting class at Blakeman's for 2015.  I cannot believe it has been one whole year since I started teaching.  My basic four-part class has reached enough participants to include an advanced class AND a feathers class.  Teaching has been the catalyst to help me through the seasons of life.  My son turns 18 soon and no longer requires much of my attention and that is quite an adjustment.  As long as dinner is ready at the appropriate times, I'm ok (ha ha).  God always meets our needs and I truly love teaching and seeing ladies succeed.  Not to mention, free motion work is a blast!

So we return now to Nikki and her very special quilt.  Strips have been cut from the four cotton blouses sent.  These were part of the clothing in which Nikki remembers her mother the most.  Since nothing else appealed to me, I will probably go with the simple rail fence quilt.



And now, meet Linda:


Linda lost her life to colon cancer on December 20, 2013. The following is a note written by one of her daughters:
She touched many lives while she was here on Earth. She had a very special way about her. She was a simple, fun woman who was often worry-free and could light up any room by just walking into it. Being a lover and a giver made her so happy. She lived for her family and never expected anything, though deserved everything. She was an inspiration to many people and showed how life should be lived. She lived her life with a purpose and if it wasn't for her final six months here with us, you would never know she even had cancer because she masked it well with her infectious smile. 

How we can all learn from Linda:  living life with a purpose, being a lover and a giver and expecting nothing.  Sounds like the way Christ lived while here on earth.  Though this situation is sad and caused much heartache, many of us have gone through the death of loved ones.  The joyous side of Linda's story is that there is a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment