Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Nikki's Memory Quilt

Nikki's quilt top in memory of her mother is finished!  It turned out beautifully.

The top is all cotton. The rail fence is made from blouses her mother, Linda, wore.  The small border is the only part that is not from clothing (see prior posts for the full story).  I cut some jelly roll strips in half and used them to separate the main body of the quilt from the blue jean top border.  I think it needed that.  So the quilt finished at approximately 49x73 (a good size lap quilt).

Now, although the quilt top is done, I may make a couple of additions to it.  Nikki is considering having me write something in free motion on the border.  And, I just ordered a Sizzix Big Shot which should be here any day.  I may use it to add some flowers or a bird, or something like that to the quilt.  There were three tops Nikki included in a bag of clothes that were tops she remembered her mother wearing the most.  They were knits and I did not want to include them with the cottons on top.  So I may use some stabilizer and put them as the extra designs on the quilt top.

It is simple, yet beautiful, just like Linda.


Next, the backing..............



1 comment: